Tuesday, April 19, 2011

quack . . . . . or soar . . . . .

So . . . . . do you quack like a duck or soar like an eagle??

As you all know , I changed jobs about a year and a half ago .  And if I praise anything about my new job, it is how nice people are .  I know . . . . every job has it's downs .  But they really try to be on a positive note .  Today one of the supervisors gave my boss a story .  Do You Quack like a Duck or Soar like an Eagle ? I'd like to share it with you . When I first read it , I thought of Michele .  She is NOT a morning person ! NOT at all !! When she was younger , Roger & Jessica would fight over who had to wake her up in the morning .  I usually ended up being the "chosen" one .  Not too long ago , Roger was sitting at the kitchen table . Michele had slept in .  She came walking through .  Her hair all messed up .  Half asleep still .  As she walked into the kitchen she stopped .  And then she said . . . . "It's a beautiful morning."  Then she went on her business .  It really took us by surprise !  Was that OUR Michele ?? When asked later what brought this on , she said . . . "I'm not a morning person .  But I'm trying to work on that .  If I start my morning on a good note . . . I'm bound to have great day ."  And since then , she is on the goal of making the world a brighter better place .  If  EVERYONE in the world would do this , we would be in such a better place. 

~Do you Quack like a Duck or Soar like an Eagle ??   by Mr . Crum

Great Service is a CHOICE . . . . . . . . . No one can make you serve customers well . That's because great service is a choice . Years ago , my friend Harvey Mackay , told me a wonderful story about a cab driver that proved this point .  He was waiting in line for a ride at the airport . When the cab pulled up , the first thing Harvey noticed was that the taxi was polished to a bright shine .  Smartly dressed in a white shirt , black tie , and freshly pressed black slacks , the cab driver jumped out and rounded the car to open the back passenger door for Harvey .  He handed my friend a laminated card and said : "I'm Wally , your driver .  While I'm loading your bags in the trunk , I'd like for you to read my mission statement ".  Taken aback , Harvey read the card .  It said :  Walley's Mission Statement :  To get my customers to their destination in the quickest , safest , and most economical way possible in a friendly environment .  This blew Harvey away .  Especially when he noticed that the inside of the cab matched the outside .  Spotlessly clean !  As he slide behind the wheel , Wally said , "Would you like a cup of coffee ?  I have a thermos of regular and one of decaf . "  My friend said jokingly , "No , I'd refer a soft drink ."  Wally smiled and said , "No problem .  I have a cooler up front with regular and Diet Coke , water and orange juice."  Almost stuttering , Harvey said , "I'll take a Diet Coke ."  Handing him his drink , Wally said , "If you'd like something to read , I have The Wall Street Journal , Time , Sports Illustrated and USA Today . "  As they were pulling away , Wally handed my friend another laminated card .  "These are the stations I get and the music they play , if you'd like to listen to the radio ." 
As if that weren't enough , Wally told Harvey that he had the air conditioning on and asked if the temperature was comfortable for him .  Then he advised Harvey of the best route to his destination for that time of day .  He also let him know that he'd be happy to chat and tell him about some of the sights , or , if Harvey preferred , "to leave him with his own thoughts ."
"Tell me , Wally ,"  my amazed friend asked the driver , "have you always served customers like this ?"

Wally smiled into the rear view mirror .  "No , not always .  In fact , it's only been int he last two years .  My first five years driving , I spent most of my time complaining like all the rest of the cabbies do .  Then I heard the personal growth guru , Wayne Dyer , on the radio one day .  He had just written a book called " You'll See It When You Believe It ."  Dyer said that if you get up in the morning expecting to have a bad day , you'll rarely disappoint yourself .  He said , "Stop complaining !! Differentiate yourself from your competition .  Don't be a duck .  Be an eagle .  Don't quack and complain .  Eagles soar above the crowd ."

"That hit me right between the eyes ," said Wally .  "Dyer was really talking about me .  I was always quacking and complaining , so I decided to change my attitude and become an eagle .  I looked around at the other cabs and their drivers .  Their cabs were dirty , the drivers were unfriendly , and the customers were unhappy .  So I decided to make some changes .  I put in a few at a time.  When my customers responded well , I did more ."

"I take it this has paid off for you ," Harvey said.
"It sure has , " Wally replied .  "My first year as an eagle , I doubled my income from the previous year .  This year I'll probably quadruple it .  You were lucky to get me today .  I don't sit at cabstands anymore .  My customers call me for appointments on my cell phone or leave a message on my voicemail.  If I can't pick them up myself , I get a reliable cabbie friend to do it and I take a piece of the action ."

Wally was phenomenal .  He was running a limo service out of a Yellow Cab.  I've probably told that story to more than fifty cab driver over the years , and only two took the idea and ran with it .  Whenever I go to their cities , I give them a call .  The rest of the drivers quacked like ducks and told me all the reasons they couldn't do any of what I was suggesting.  

Wally the Cab Driver made a different choice .  He decided to stop quacking like a duck and started soaring like an eagle .   How about you???

No comments: